California State University-East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd
||Total Fall Enrollment:
||Books and Supplies:
||On-campus Room and Board:
||Receiving Aid of Some Type:
||Undergraduate Application Fee:
||Receiving Institutional Aid:
Source: National Center for Education Statistics
George J.Resnikoff Memorial Scholarship
- Scholarship Description
- George J. Resnikoff Memorial Scholarship: The George J. Resnikoff Memorial Scholarship was established in 1999 through donations made by CSUEB Statistics Department faculty, staff and students, other colleagues, professional people involved with local and national statistical organizations (e.g., IMS and ASA), the Resnikoff family, and personal friends. The contributor donor list reads like a "who's who" in Statistics from the sixties and seventies. One (1) scholarship valued at $500 or more is offered annually to a CSUEB graduate student majoring in Statistics. The first of these scholarships was awarded Spring Quarter 2000.
Dr. Resnikoff, who received his Ph.D. from Stanford University, came to CSUEB in 1964 to found and Chair the Statistics Department. Later in his CSUEB career he held a number of administrative posts, including Dean of the School of Science (1970-71) and Dean of Graduate Studies (1972-79). After his retirement from the University in 1980, he returned occasionally to teach courses in Statistics until 1989.
Dr. Resnikoff s early statistical work centered on the use of mathematical analysis and emerging computer technology to produce accurate tables of statistical distributions. In his teaching, he was especially interested in finding ways to explain crucial statistical ideas to students with limited mathematical backgrounds. In addition to his university-related work, Dr. Resnikoff served the off-campus statistical community as Treasurer of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics (1964-72) and as Executive Secretary (1974-78). During his tenure as Treasurer, the IMS Business Office was established in Hayward.
At an on-campus memorial service held on September 30, 1994, Dr. Resnikoff s colleagues and friends shared stories and fond memories exhibiting his warmth and wonderful sense of humor. His colleagues and former students will long remember his advocacy for statistics as a discipline, his perceptive personal advice, his seemingly endless supply of engaging "war" stories from personal experiences during World War II, and his relentless support of the underdog in almost any economic, political, or social situation.
As faculty and alumni associated with the Statistics Department, we should all be proud of and grateful for the professional contributions of Dr. Resnikoff. His achievements--both within and outside the University--benefit us all because of the Department's stellar reputation. The annual awarding of this scholarship is a fitting memorial to his dedication and service to the Department, CSUEB, and the statistics community.
- Number of Awards
- Renewal Criteria
- Financial need
- Class Standing
- This Scholarship is offered annually to a CSUEB graduate student majoring in Statistics.
Report a Mistake
Find more scholarships that are right for you.
Create a FREE profile with your accomplishments and interests so you can:
- Get matched with scholarships. We've got more than $11 billion of them.
- Discover other colleges with merit scholarships matching your unique strengths.
- Find colleges that are looking for students like you and add them to your College List.
Start Your Free Profile