California State University-East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd
||Total Fall Enrollment:
||Books and Supplies:
||On-campus Room and Board:
||Receiving Aid of Some Type:
||Undergraduate Application Fee:
||Receiving Institutional Aid:
Source: National Center for Education Statistics
Heebok Park Scholarship
- Scholarship Description
- Heebok Park Scholarship: The Heebok Park Scholarship was established in 1998 through donations made by CSUEB Statistics Department faculty, staff and students, other colleagues, the Park family, and personal friends. One (1) scholarship valued at $500 or more is offered annually to a CSUEB graduate student majoring in Statistics. The first of these scholarships was awarded in May 1999.
Dr. Park, who received his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, came to CSUEB in 1967. Along with Drs. George Resnikoff, Bruce Trumbo, and William Sawrey, he was instrumental in building the Statistics Department. His primary concern was forging a strong Master's program that could hold its own against the best programs in the country. He served as Department Chair from Fall 1974 through Spring 1978 and as Graduate Advisor from Fall 1982 through Summer 1990. During his tenure as Graduate Advisor, the Master's program blossomed. He retired from teaching at the end of Fall Quarter 1996.
Dr. Park's popularity with our students was evident at his May 9, 1997 retirement party, which drew close to 200 people--mostly his former students. This is the largest event the Statistics Department has ever sponsored, and the most successful. Students and alumni spanning four decades--the lifetime of the Statistics Department--came to honor Dr. Park and wish him well, including our very first B.S. graduate (class of'68) and our second MS. graduate (class of'71). It was gratifying for members of the Statistics Department to witness the love, admiration, respect, and gratitude our students and alumni feel for Dr. Park, and their recognition of the impact his teaching had on their lives. This came through in the calls and messages received, as well as during the alumni testimonials presented at the Banquet.
Dr. Park's success stemmed from his brilliance as an educator, but he didn't just teach statistics--he taught about life. He didn't just train our students to be statisticians--he trained them to be functioning adults. He didn't just teach our students to take their place in the world--he taught them to make a difference. Dr. Park didn't just welcome his students into the classroom, he became involved in their lives and welcomed them into his home. According to his students, two of the secrets to Dr. Park's phenomenal success were his ability to teach by setting an example and his ability to teach them to think.
The annual awarding of this scholarship honors Dr. Park's years of service and commitment to the Statistics Department, its students, and its programs.
- Number of Awards
- Renewal Criteria
- Financial need
- Class Standing
- The annual awarding of this scholarship honors Dr. Park's years of service and commitment to the Statistics Department, its students, and its programs. Thisw Scholarship is offered annually to a CSUEB graduate student majoring in Statistics.
Report a Mistake
Find more scholarships that are right for you.
Create a FREE profile with your accomplishments and interests so you can:
- Get matched with scholarships. We've got more than $11 billion of them.
- Discover other colleges with merit scholarships matching your unique strengths.
- Find colleges that are looking for students like you and add them to your College List.
Start Your Free Profile