The Captain David Lyman Scholarship seeks to honor the memory of Captain David Lyman as a longtime member of Hawaii's maritime community by providing financial incentive for Hawaii students to apply to and enroll at The California Maritime Academy and pursue a profession in the maritime field. One recipient is selected per year. That student receives a scholarship of up to $2,500 per year to be renewed for up to a total of four years if the student maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average while at The California Maritime Academy. To be eligible for scholarship consideration, students must meet all of the following criteria: - Be a resident of the state of Hawaii.
- Be a freshman applicant to any of The California Maritime Academy's programs licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard (Marine Transportation,
Marine Engineering Technology, or Mechanical Engineering - license track).
- Apply for admission (see the "apply" option in the left-hand column) during the admission application priority period.
- Be a student who meets the academic criteria for the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE). scholarship (currently the same criteria as in-state admission).
- Meet the California State University admission requirements.
- Apply for the scholarship by writing a 500 word essay describing 1) how the student's interest in the maritime profession has developed AND 2) the student's goals for professional life after graduation from The California Maritime Academy.
See website for this year's deadlines.
Number of Awards
To be renewed for up to a total of four years if the student maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average while at The California Maritime Academy.
Cappex is the company behind CollegeGreenlight.com.
College Greenlight is a service provided by Cappex.com, a leading college search website that has relationships with hundreds of colleges nationwide and years of experience helping millions of students achieve their college dreams.