» College Majors
» Scholarship Listings
English Language and Literature, General Scholarships
If perfect diction is important to you, if you spend hours reading every day or if it is truly important to you that people use the subjunctive tense correctly, you may be a budding English major. Whether you want to study Classics, Linguistics or Composition, we’ve got some great news for you.
Getting a higher education can be both very rewarding and very expensive. Here at Cappex, we understand that many families struggle each year to pay for tuition, room and board, books, meal plans, and everything else that comes with going to college. Sometimes, these costs even prevent students from pursuing their dreams. But don’t worry; we’re here to help. We’ve compiled a list of scholarships and grants intended specifically for English majors. There are actually a number of organizations that want to promote the study of the English language by assisting students financially. Take a look at our scholarships database for a full list of scholarships available to English majors. It’s completely free, and we update it on a regular basis. We’ve taken the headache out of applying to scholarships by doing all the searching for you. So take a few minutes to read some scholarship descriptions, and if you find any grammatical errors, be sure to let us know.
The key to winning a lot of scholarships is to “know thyself.” Apply to those English scholarships that cater to students with your unique qualities. Use your hobbies, interests, goals and quirks to pay for your education. Are you left-handed? Do you love to write poetry? Are you involved in your schools radio club? Keep all these qualities in mind, and you’ll find that there are English scholarships out there that were designed specifically for you. To get you started, we’ve listed a few examples below.
- The Iowa Scholarship for the Arts is a scholarship for high school seniors who are Iowa residents who have been accepted at an Iowa college or university. Applicants must demonstrate artistic ability, and scholarship awards range from $1,000 to $2,000.
- The F. Lammont Belin Arts Scholarship is an English scholarship for students who are residents of Pennsylvania and who are interested in majoring in the arts. Letters of recommendation are required from recognized artists, judges or other experts in the student's chosen field. The scholarship is worth $15,000, and students must provide a proposal and planned budget for any programs for which they plan to use the award money.
- The LIT Scholarship for Excellence is an English scholarship for students who are members of Lambda Iota Tau (LIT). Applicants must submit a writing sample for evaluation by the selection committee, and have a GPA of at least 3.0 to apply for this $1,000 scholarship.
- The Norma Ross Walter Scholarship is an English scholarship for women from Nebraska who are pursuing a degree in Creative Writing, English Composition or English Language and Literature. The scholarship is worth $1,000, and applicants must be college freshmen with a GPA of at least 3.0.
- The America’s Next Top Namer Scholarship is a $2,500 English scholarship for students with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. Applicants must develop five brand name candidates that would be alternatives for the global network that is currently known as the Internet.
- The Kor Memorial Scholarship is a $500 English scholarship for students who are held in high regard by their supervising faculty. Applicants may be pursuing an undergraduate, masters or doctoral-level degree.
Take some time to apply to one or more of these scholarships. At Cappex, we believe that everyone should be able to pursue an education, regardless of the cost.
Get Instant Scholarship Matches
Get Personalized Matches
- Completely Free
- Personalized Results
- Find $11 Billion in Merit Aid scholarships