Scholarship Listings » Gender List » Scholarship Listings
Scholarships for women
In 1836, Wesleyan College, the first college for women, was founded. Since then, the social and intellectual role of women has changed dramatically. Now, the majority of colleges and universities are coeducational institutions. In fact, many schools report more female than male enrollment. In short, a lot has happened since 1836, putting women on an equal footing with men in terms of education. Unfortunately, the cost of attending college can be somewhat daunting, and still prevents many women from pursuing their professional goals.
At Cappex, we hope to help alleviate these costs as much as possible. If you are a woman enrolled in college, you have many options available to you in terms of financial aid. There are innumerable scholarships and grants to apply for that can chip away at the cost of tuition. The majority of scholarships for women have vocational requirements. If you are hoping to major in engineering, you’re in luck. There are many scholarships for women engineers available. These include:
- The Chevron Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship for women who are college sophomores and juniors majoring in Engineering and whose GPAs are at least 3.5.
- The Ivy Parker Memorial Scholarship is a renewable $2,500 scholarship for women pursuing degrees in certain Engineering majors. Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.0.
- The Dorothy Lemke Howarth Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship for women who are college sophomores majoring in Engineering with GPAs of at least 3.0.
- The Admiral Grace Murray Hopper Scholarship is a scholarship for women in engineering with an average award of $1,000. Applicants must be college freshmen with GPAs of at least 3.5.
If numbers aren’t really your thing, don’t worry. There are also scholarships available for women with other interests:
- The Norma Ross Walter Scholarship is a scholarship for women from Nebraska who are pursuing a degree in Creative Writing, English Composition or English Language and Literature.
- The Katherine J. Schutze Memorial Scholarship is a scholarship for women who are majoring in Biblical Studies, Pastoral Studies, Religion, or Theology.
- The Carolyn Weatherford Scholarship is a scholarship for women who are pursuing a master's or postgraduate degree in Missionary Studies.
There are also scholarships for women with affiliations to certain religions or organizations. For example:
- The Eugenia Vellner Fischer Award is a scholarship for women who are performing arts majors and who are finalists in the Miss America competition.
- The Shannon Scholarship is a scholarship for women who are daughters of Episcopal priests and who are members of one of the five dioceses in Pennsylvania.
There are also scholarships for students who are residents of certain states or counties.
- The AAUW Lodi Branch Scholarship is a scholarship for women living or attending school in Lodi, California.
- The ABWA Severn River Chapter Scholarship is a scholarship for students who are majoring in a business-related field and who are residents of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.0 and demonstrate financial need.
Here at Cappex, we’ve done all the searching for you. We understand that paying for college can be very difficult, and we’re here to help. Take some time to browse through our extensive list of scholarships for women below. It’s completely free, and we update it regularly. We’ve done our best to make it easy for you to find help paying for college. So go ahead, follow your dreams!