How to Prepare for College in 9th Grade
College preparation starts early. From the first day of high school, everything counts towards college. Here's what you do can do make sure your freshman year of high school counts:
1. Take all your courses seriously. If you mess up your grades in 9th grade, it is hard (but not impossible) to bring your GPA up.
2. Make sure your parents talked to your teachers and counselor about your future in high school and beyond. Make sure you are taking the right courses for your future major. If you need extra help in a subject, make sure the teacher is aware.
3. Check out the extracurricular activities at your high school and in your community. At some point, look into leadership in one of the clubs. Keep a running list of your extracurricular activities for your high school resume.
4. Keep reading!
5. Have a summer plan (between 9th and 10th grades). You want to do something that will lead to a valuable experience or personal growth. Your summer plan should tap into something you are passionate about.
6. Go over your schedule for sophomore year with your counselor and your parents. Many colleges look at the strength of your schedule and want you to challenge yourself.
7. Work on scholarship applications.
Barbara DiAlberto has been a College Advisor and Consultant for 18 years, both in the school system and privately. She has helped thousands of students get into college. As the Territory Manager for The Princeton Review, Mrs. DiAlberto is still helping students get into college.