How to Behave During a College Interview
Our college expert Mark Kantrowitz answers your questions about college and financial aid.
Q: Some of the colleges that I'm looking at require an interview. How should I act in a college interview to ensure I don't blow my chances?
A: Your goal during the interview is to make good impression.
- Practice hygiene: shower, use deodorant, brush your teeth, do not chew gum or smoke
- Thoroughly practice how to answer questions and prepare questions of your own
- Dress appropriately; do not wear revealing clothing or informal clothing and cover tattoos
- Use the bathroom before leaving for the interview and don't drink a ton of water beforehand
- Be polite and turn off your cell phone
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early
- When you meet the interviewer, repeat their name in your head
- Sit up straight and maintain eye contact without staring
If the interview is conducted using Skype Video or Google Video, try these tips:
- Clean the lens of your webcam
- Make sure you're in a professional space like an office or have a blank wall
- Conduct the interview in a quiet room
- Plug in your computer so it doesn't die during the interview