Paying for Your Gap Year
Paying for your gap year doesn’t have to be a challenge. You can take this time time to explore hobbies, volunteer or travel the world. You also can earn college credit during your gap year.
Here are a few tips to pay for your gap year:
- Plan ahead and save money accordingly. You shouldn’t dip into your college fund to pay for your gap year.
- Budget for all costs, including visas, vaccinations, currency exchange costs and insurance. Planning your travel ahead of time lets you find the most cost-effective hostels and rail passes.
- Take a part-time job in high school to save money for your gap year.
- Working abroad can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. You can be an au pair or English tutor. There also are less desirable jobs like cleaning stables on a farm.
- Look for sponsorships. Some programs can fund your trip if you do charity work.
- Take a short gap-year during the summer.
- Ask your parents to pitch in for the trip.
- Sell your belongings in a yard sale, on eBay or in a consignment shop. If you have a car, you can sell it, especially if you don’t need it at college
- Get a scholarship. CIEE is one place to look. Other possibilities include Brower Youth Awards and Rotary Foundation Youth Exchanges. Also check out HI USA Travel Scholarships, Foundation for Global Scholars, National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y), The Pollination Project and U.S. Department of State Exchange Programs
Create a free Cappex account to find, finance, and attend the college that’s right for you Get Started Now