College Admissions Interview Questions
College admissions interviews provide an opportunity for the college admissions office to get to know you as a person, to see if your personality is a good fit for the college. The interview also provides you with an opportunity to get answers to your questions about the college.
These interview questions are some of the most common college admissions and scholarships interview questions. I have used these questions myself when conducting interviews.
Practice responding to these questions in mock interviews with your parents or friends. You may find it helpful to record the interview and to watch the video afterward.
Do not memorize scripted answers to these interview questions. Even if you could remember your memorized answers, it will feel unnatural. Instead, identify two or three key points to cover in your answer to each question. This will yield a more conversational response.
- Please tell me about yourself.
- What is your main academic interest? Why?
- What academic subjects do you find most challenging? Why?
- What do you do for fun, outside of school? Why is this important to you?
- What makes you special or unique? What accomplishments are you most proud of? (Variations include: What are you famous for? What is your superpower?)
- If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be?
- What is your favorite book? Why?
- Who has had the greatest influence on you? Who do you admire?
- Please tell me about something you did that had an impact on other people?
- What do you think you'll be doing 10 years from now?
- What important problems do you want to solve? If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Have you experienced any challenges and obstacles? How have you handled them?
- What do you like most about this college? Why are you interested in this college?
- What concerns you about this college?
- Is there something you want to tell me about, that we haven’t talked about yet?
- Do you have any questions for me?