Selective Service Registration Requirements

on February 21, 2017

Students who were born male must register with Selective Service between ages 18 and 25 (inclusive) to be eligible for federal and/or state student financial aid. Some colleges and universities require students who were born male to be registered with Selective Service to receive institutional financial aid funds.


Are Transgender Students Required to Register?


Transgender students must register based on their gender at birth, as listed on the student’s birth certificate.


How to Register with Selective Service


Students can register with Selective Service at or by filling out a Selective Service postcard at any U.S. post office. There is also a “register me” checkbox on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


How to Check Selective Service Registration Status


Students can check their Selective Service registration status at or by calling 1-888-655-1825 or 1-847-688-6888.


What If the Student Did Not Register with Selective Service?


If a student did not register with Selective Service and is age 26 or older, they should obtain a status information letter from the Selective Service. Then, the college will need proof that the failure to register was not knowing and willful.


Evidence that the failure to register was not knowing and willful can include any of the following:

  • Proof that the student did register
  • Proof that the student served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (e.g., a copy of the student’s DD-214)
  • Proof that the student attended one of the service academies (U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Naval Academy or U.S. Air Force Academy)
  • Proof of continuous hospitalization or incarceration from age 18 to 25
  • Proof that the student lived abroad from age 18 to 25

Can I get Into...

We Know Your Chances. Do You?

What Are My Chances