Southern Virginia University
1 University Hill Drive
||Total Fall Enrollment:
||Books and Supplies:
||On-campus Room and Board:
||Receiving Aid of Some Type:
||Undergraduate Application Fee:
||Receiving Institutional Aid:
Source: National Center for Education Statistics
- Scholarship Description
- The Marriott Scholar program recognizes incoming freshmen and transfer students who have excelled both academically and in other aspects of life such as student government and leadership, community service, athletics, fine arts, or church service. This award emphasizes the concept of the quest for excellence as exemplified by the benefactors of the award, Mr. Richard E. Marriott and the Marriott family. The award allows recipients to use this recognition in resumes for postgraduate employment and education opportunities.
Marriott Scholars will be selected by a panel consisting of the Dean of Admissions and two faculty selected by the Executive Vice President and Provost. The panel will meet periodically (and as much as weekly during peak times) to determine awardees. The Panel will submit their recommendations to the President's Council for final approval.
Once a student is designated a Marriott Scholar they will retain the honor of the title for life; however, to retain the accompanying scholarship, the student must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Minimum Requirements to be considered: For transfer students: 3.75 GPA, minimum 24 credit hours. For freshmen: Minimum GPA 3.8 or equivalent and 1250 on the SAT (based on a single test combined Critical Reading and Math score, excluding writing score) or 28 on the ACT (for Spring 2007-2008 only), minimum GPA of 3.8 or equivalent and an 1850 SAT score based on a single test combined score, including writing score. Accepted applicants must complete an application (PDF) and submit to the Dean of Admissions between December 1 and March 31 for consideration for the upcoming fall term. Spring term applicants must have their applications submitted no later than November 1.
In addition to the lifetime honor of being a Marriott Scholar, the successful candidate will receive up to $14,000 scholarship for each year of attendance at SVU (to be awarded half each semester). This scholarship award supersedes and replaces all other SVU offers of institutional aid including, but not limited to, academic scholarships, returned missionary grants, talent scholarships, etc. This scholarship will be applied after any non-SVU institutional aid that must be used solely for tuition, such as state tuition grants like the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant program, or certain private scholarships, are applied.
- Number of Awards
- Renewal Criteria
- The student must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Financial need
- Class Standing
Report a Mistake
Find more scholarships that are right for you.
Create a FREE profile with your accomplishments and interests so you can:
- Get matched with scholarships. We've got more than $11 billion of them.
- Discover other colleges with merit scholarships matching your unique strengths.
- Find colleges that are looking for students like you and add them to your College List.
Start Your Free Profile