Credential Evaluation Services
Credential evaluation services translate foreign education credentials, such as transcripts and diplomas, into the U.S. equivalents. Most U.S. colleges require international students to submit their education records to a credential evaluation service.
Credential evaluation services take into account differences in grading scales and education standards, helping colleges assess a student’s academic preparation and performance.
Note that credential evaluation is different than credential verification and document translation. Credential evaluation interprets and measures foreign credentials against U.S. education standards. Credential verification certifies the authenticity of the documents, confirming that they were received from a legitimate, official source.
Document translation translates foreign language terms into American English.
Each college and university specifies which credential evaluation services are acceptable. Some colleges and universities have their own in-house experts.
Credential evaluation fees are paid by the student. Credential evaluation fees range from $50 to $250. Document translation fees are $20 to $100 per page.
Credential Evaluation Services
U.S. colleges and universities use one or more of several dozen credential evaluation services. The most popular credential evaluation services are WES, ECE, IERF and AES.
- A2Z Evaluations, LLC
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI)
- Academic Evaluation Services, Inc. (AES)
- ACREVS Inc. (Academic & Credential Records, Evaluation & Verification Service)
- American Education Research Corporation
- Center for Applied Research, Evaluations, & Education, Inc.
- Credential Consultants, Inc.
- Credentials Evaluation Service Academic Report
- Education Evaluators International, Inc.
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
- Educational Perspectives, nfp.
- Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
- Evaluation Service, Inc.
- Evaluation World
- First Step Translations Corporation
- Foreign Academic Credential Service, Inc.
- Foreign Credential Evaluations, Inc.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America
- Foundation for International Services, Inc.
- Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- Global Services Associates, Inc.
- Globe Language Services, Inc.
- International Academic Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF)
- International Educational Equivalency Evaluation Services Inc.
- International Evaluation Services
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. International Education Consultants
- Knowledge Company
- Lisano International
- Morningside Evaluations
- North American Educational Group
- One Earth International Credential Evaluations
- SDR Educational Consultants
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
- Transcript Research
- Word Communication International
- World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
Professional Associations of Credential Evaluation Services
There are eight professional associations of credential evaluators. Reputable credential evaluation services will be members of at least one of these professional associations. NACES, AICE and AACRAO are among the most popular associations.
- America-Mideast Educational and Training Services, Inc. (AMIDEAST)
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- American Evaluation Association (AEA)
- American Translation Association (ATA)
- Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE)
- European Association of International Education (EAIE)
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators (NAFSA)
- National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)