Scholarship Terms and Conditions
General Terms and Conditions
By applying for a Cappex.com scholarship, you agree to these terms:
- Unless noted otherwise, you must be a U.S. resident to be considered for Cappex.com scholarship awards.
- You may apply for more than one scholarship, and you only need to complete one profile to do so. Entering additional profiles will not increase your chances of being selected.
- You must provide your mailing address so that we can send you paperwork to complete if you are selected as a scholarship recipient.
- To be awarded a scholarship, a recipient must enroll at an accredited college or university located in the United States. Scholarships proceeds will be remitted to that school during the summer before the student attends. The summer before the recipient attends the college or university, they will need to complete a Payment Form that says which school they will be attending, and specifically where at the school to send the award payment. If this form is not completed, the award will not be disbursed, and the recipient may forfeit the award.
- By applying for a scholarship, applicant grants Cappex.com permission to post their name on Cappex.com or in other marketing communications in the event they are awarded the scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to submit a current photo and submit a publicity release granting Cappex permission to use their photo on Cappex.com and in other marketing communications.
- In order to ensure a fair and equitable selection process, Cappex may retain the services of a third-party scholarship administrator to select and notify scholarship recipients, to verify recipient information, and to remit scholarship proceeds to an accredited university or college. Cappex.com and/or its designated third-party scholarship-selection service have sole discretion of selecting scholarship recipients.
- Cappex.com reserves the right to change the scholarship programs at any time, including available scholarships, deadlines, requirements, award amounts or other program details.
- Scholarship winners will be contacted by FedEx or U.S. Mail within six weeks of the scholarship application deadlines and may also be contacted by phone and e-mail.
- If winners do not reply by the date specified in the FedEx or U.S. Mail package, Cappex.com reserves the right not to award the scholarship to the winner, and to award the scholarship to another applicant or to redistribute the scholarship award dollars to another scholarship.
- See eligibility requirements for each scholarship for more details.
Cappex® College Prep Scholarship for First Generation College Students Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Cappex College Prep Scholarship for First Generation College Students and/or Friends Scholarship (each, the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to registered Cappex users who are residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, thirteen (13) years of age or older whose registration for these Sweepstakes does not violate any applicable law or regulation, including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. and currently planning to enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher learning (college, university or trade school) located in the United States within four years of the Sweepstakes. If you are a parent or legal guardian of an entrant under the age of 18, by allowing your child to register for these Sweepstakes, you are subject to these Rules. Entrants under the age of majority in their state of residence (“Minors”) must have permission to enter from their parent or legal guardian and will be required to obtain a written release from their parent or legal guardian prior to claiming any prize. Proof of permission may be required at any time. Employees of Cappex (along with its contractors, affiliates and subsidiaries) and their families are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. Online entries will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. A potential winner must not have won any other Sponsor contest or sweepstakes in the previous one (1) year period. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
2. SPONSOR. The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Cappex.com, LLC (“Sponsor”).
4. RANDOM DRAWING/WINNER SELECTION. One (1) winner will be selected via random drawing as soon as practicable at the beginning of each new time period as indicated on the Entry form, among all Entries received and processed during the previous time period (“Winner”). If a Winner is disqualified for any reason, an alternate Winner will be selected through additional random drawings as many times as necessary. The Sponsor’s decision is final in all matters related to this Sweepstakes. The odds of winning will be determined by the number of entrants into the Sweepstakes.
5. PRIZES. The Winner will receive a cash prize (“Scholarship Prize”) in the amount indicated on the Entry form, in the form of a direct payment to the Winner. ALL EXPENSES, FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES AND COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ACCEPTANCE AND USE OF THE SCHOLARSHIP PRIZE NOT SET FORTH IN THESE RULES ARE THE OBLIGATION OF THE WINNER. The awarding of any Scholarship Prize is contingent upon full compliance with these Official Rules and subject to Sponsor's verification of Applicant and Applicant's submission. Applicants agree to be bound by Official Rules and agree that if any Winner is found to have violated the Official Rules or otherwise does not meet eligibility criteria, Scholarship Prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner will be selected. Applicants understand that Sponsor is not liable for injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from participation in this Scholarship Program and acceptance, possession and use of Scholarship Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Scholarship Program or in the announcement of the Scholarship Prize. Winners may not transfer or assign any Scholarship Prize and any attempt to do so is void. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value, in its sole discretion.
6. WINNER NOTIFICATION. The potential Winner will be notified by email or telephone within two (2) weeks following the drawing. The potential Winner will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (where permitted), and a Direct Deposit form within seventy-two (72) hours of notification attempt or such Scholarship Prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner will be selected in a random drawing from among all remaining Entries. In the event a potential Winner’s Affidavit/Release Form is returned to the Sponsor as undeliverable or potential a Winner is determined to be ineligible in accordance with these Official Rules, such Prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate potential Winner in a random drawing from among all remaining Entries received. The Winner may be required to supply Sponsor (or Sponsor’s scholarship administrator) with his/her social security number for tax purposes. The potential Winner will not be deemed the Winner until his/her submission of notification materials is verified. The Scholarship Prize will be awarded provided it is properly claimed. No more than one (1) Scholarship Prize as stated in these Official Rules will be awarded. In the event more Winner notifications are issued, or more Scholarship Prize claims are received than the Scholarship Prize set forth in these Official Rules due to computer, printing, human or other error or problem, a random drawing will take place from among all such Entries for the Scholarship Prize at issue (or from among all persons so notified) to award the Scholarship Prize as set forth in these Official Rules. Inclusion in such random drawing shall be each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances.
1. By entering, you represent that: (i) your entry is your own original work; and (ii) you own or have the rights to convey any and all right and title in any material submitted as part of your entry into the Sweepstakes.
2. Participants hereby grant Cappex a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the Submission (along with their names, voices, performance and/or likenesses) in all media now known and later come into being for purposes of trade or advertising without further compensation. Participants represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant Cappex the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured all necessary rights from any participants in, and contributors to, their Submission in order to grant such a license. Cappex is under no obligation to use any Submission or return the Submissions to participants.
3. Winners (and their parent or legal guardian, if a Minor) will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a liability release and where lawful, a publicity release within 14 days of notification. Non-compliance within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Any income tax liability is the sole responsibility of the winner.
8. USE OF CONTEST INFORMATION: All entries become the property of Cappex. Cappex reserves the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including submissions provided by the contestants, for editorial, marketing and any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
9. NOT ENDORSED BY SOCIAL MEDIA PROVIDERS: By participating in this contest, you acknowledge that this contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram, Facebook or Twitter or other social media platform (“Social Media Providers”) and release the Social Media Providers from any and all liability arising from or related to this contest.
10. CONDUCT: All contest participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Cappex in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering with the entry process, the operation of its web site or is otherwise in violation of these rules.
11. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to release Sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, directors, officers, and agents from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership, possession, use, or misuse of any prize. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected email or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. If for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort; Sponsor may cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. Entrants further agree to release Sponsor from any liability resulting from or related to participation in the contest.
12. GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION: The Sweepstakes and these Official Rules are governed by U.S. law and are subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Sweepstakes Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois without regard to its rules on conflicts of law.
13. WINNERS LIST: The names of the winners may be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Cappex.com, LLC, ATTN: Marketing Department, 2445 M St NW, Washington DC 20037